Saturday, June 4, 2011

Diaper {Rash} While Using Cloth

Pin It I love cloth diapering. I'm officially a CD fanatic. I knew from the start that I wanted to cloth diaper and I did the research... let me tell you, I spent hours on it! I watched video tutorials, read million of blogs, talked to friends and on and  on. So when our little one came along I figured I would put her in disposables just until she was past her meconium stage (it really is like black tar!) and her umbilical stump had fallen off. Once that beautiful little belly button appeared, I was so excited to start!

To my dismay, by the second cloth diaper I had on her she had the worst diaper rash! I couldn't believe it! Everything I had read said that cloth diapering was better at preventing diaper rash and here my darling little one had been just fine in disposables and was getting a rash in cloth! So I switched her back to disposables and put some cream on her cutey patootey and in about a day it cleared up. I thought to myself, maybe it wasn't the cloth diaper, maybe it was just something I had eaten (our little one is breastfed only) or something she was allergic to. I considered that it might be the detergent, but the rash was not all over so it obviously wasn't that. I figured, okay, lets give this a second chance! Unfortunately, once again, by the second cloth diaper of the day she was already showing signs of redness and irritation. I was heart broken!

So, I began my quest to find a way of keeping my little one in cloth diapers AND preventing her inevitable diaper rash. After much research, I found a solution that works for her! So now I am super excited once again, she's had zero signs of a rash for almost a month! Not only that, I am completely in love with cloth diapering. It honestly blows disposables out of the water (for SO many reasons!). Click here for my top 5 reasons to cloth diaper.

Okay, so I know you are curious about what helped clear up Sofia's diaper rash and keep her in cloth! 

First of all, I switched completely to cloth wipes. I had sort of dibble dabbled with them, switching back and forth. I switched completely to cloth wipes and I reformulated to a completely organic solution. Previously I had been making my wipe solution with J&J baby wash, water and olive oil. I eliminated the J&J and opted for a chemical free, organic wash in my solution. I strongly feel that the disposable wipes were too harsh on her sensitive skin. As I mentioned earlier, she went from screaming with the disposable wipes to cooing with the cloth wipes - that's proof enough for me. 


Secondly, I picked up a bottle of Kissaluv's Diaper Lotion Potion. 
 
I buy mine from Green Mountain Diapers, which is where I buy pretty much all of my cloth diapering supplies. They have excellent customer service, fast shipping and have not let me down once. Not to mention they have excellent quality prefolds and wipes (among other things). 

This diaper lotion potion is phenomenal. I simply give baby's butt one spray (after completely wiping clean) and let dry. It kills the bacteria, moisturizes, soothes, creates a barrier and even has the astringent properties of Witch Hazel. I love it! 


Next, I was told by a good friend to try Burt's Bee's Baby Bee Diaper Ointment. 

I pick mine up at Target. I use this ointment mostly when little one already has a rash (it miraculously clears up the rash in just hours!) and whenever she is going to be in a diaper for an extended period of time (night time, long car ride, etc). I love this product and love the way it smells. It is 100% natural and I have not had any problems with it negatively affecting the absorbency of my prefolds.

All other times, I use Dimpleskins Natural's Bum Bum Balm Diaper Salve. Another amazing product! 
You can purchase it on their website, I buy mine on Amazon.com.
It is 100% natural and works exceptionally well!

So I typically use the Kissaluv's Diaper Lotion Potion and the Bum Bum Balm and that works perfectly for little one. I have used only the Diaper Lotion Potion without any balm or ointment and that seems to work perfectly fine as well (it is an amazing product!), but I like to take the extra precaution because she has such sensitive skin. 

And wallah! No diaper rash for a month now and little one is loving her cloth diapers!








 










  Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment