Sunday, April 1, 2012

Determination

Pin It
It's April. Can you believe it?
Our sweet little babe will be a year old in one week. 
I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that. Time really does go too fast. 

I think having a child makes you even more aware of how fast time flies. It makes you realize how every moment is precious, every moment is fleeting, every moment must be grasped. 

So with a new month, comes many new adventures for the Goodwin family. 
Some of you know this, but I recently finished a very radical (wink wink) bible study. It was intense and overwhelming and I was so grateful for it. At the end of the study, you are asked to take part in what the author calls a "radical experiment." This radical experiment is one year of your life in which you must read the entire bible, pray for the world, take part in a growing community, participate in a different context and sacrifice something for a year (and then donate the money you saved to something of your choice). 

My sacrifice? Clothes, shoes and accessories.
This, besides eating out, is probably my biggest area of failure in our finances. I say this because, although I always have a budget in place for clothing, I seem to just fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to buying these items--with blatant disregard for our budget. I'm probably the worst when it comes to Sofia, I can always find a way to rationalize spending money on clothing for sweet little Sofia. 

So it ends now. Actually, it ended about 3 weeks ago, but hey - whose counting? Oh, right, I am.
The rule is that no money can be spent on clothes, shoes or accessories. Period. Furthermore, I cannot feed my need to spend by simply transposing those habits over to buying for Sofia.

This all officially began on March 10th, so I have until March 10th, 2013. Wish me luck! 

So aside from this, the hubs and I had a long conversation about our goals for 2012 (we do this yearly). We decided that we are going to challenge ourselves to save $10,000 in 4 months. That's a lot. I have to be honest, I'm not entirely sure if its possible, but we are going to try our darnedest to make it possible. We aren't terribly great at saving money. However, we have been straight up obsessed with paying off our debt and therefore most of our extra money has gone towards that particular endeavor. This isn't a bad thing. However, we would like to take a short break from that and build our savings up higher -- to where we think it should be.

So here is the plan:
  • We must save $2500 a month for 4 months (April-July).
  • No unnecessary spending. Literally, if we do not need  it, it cannot be purchased. Meaning that nothing can be purchased unless there is NO other means of satisfying that need. 
  • No eating out (obviously this could fall into the above category, but for our own sake we needed to make it a rule).
  • We will only make the minimum payments on all bills for the next four months.
  • No unnecessary driving.
  • We will use the envelope system. 
  • We cannot use debit cards and must use cash for everything.
  • If we do not meet our savings goal each month, we must sell some of our stuff to make up the difference that month (this one is to keep the fire under our butts). 
So this should all go nicely along with the no clothing commitment right? 
As the hubs likes to say - go big or go home. 
We've created a fun 'lil ticker to track our efforts, in the future it will be located at the very bottom of our blog. I'm feeling up for the challenge! 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment