Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Case of the Mysterious Allergen or the Overconcerned Mother, Which We Do Not Know

Pin It
Sofia has been off of dairy for 48 hours and soy for 24 hours and I have seen a lot of improvements, all sorts of things that made me feel like, hey, yah, we're getting this figured out! 
Then I got a call from our Allergist's office. 
Sofia's entire panel came back negative. 

This was my fear.
Your probably wondering why I say that and why I am not jumping up and down for joy right now? It's because Sofia is having a reaction to something. I have the pictures to prove it. So if its not a food allergy then what is it? And where do we start now? 
I feel like I am playing a game of Clue. 
I suck at Clue. 
So we know that she was tested for: 
A. Baby Formula Profile - Milk, Egg Mix, Oat, Soybean, Wheat, Rice 
B. Dairy Profile - Alpha-LactalB, Beta-LactogoldB, Casein, Cheddar Cheese, Milk 
C. Peanuts
D. Almonds
However, come to find out, blood tests are not as accurate at skin tests (why they sent us in for a blood test then I do not know, maybe they thought it would be easier on a 12 month old? I honestly thought a blood test would be the most accurate way to go or I would have argued for a skin test) AND there is always the fact that she could be allergic to something she was not tested for. For instance, pet dander or another food or pretty much anything on God's green Earth. 
Or maybe it isn't an allergy at all. 
Perhaps her runny nose is just a cold. 
Perhaps the eye rubbing was really just the fact that she was tired (even though it was pretty consistent) OR part of the same cold that is causing her runny nose.
Maybe the Eczema really is just a baby thing.
The raised red dots.... I can't explain, they're the curve ball.
I don't know. 
We go back to the Allergist in a week and a half. We are to continue on her current diet of NO dairy and NO soy until then. We are supposed to apply Eucerin daily until her rash goes away. 
Oh Lord, I am so praying for an answer for my sweet babe. I feel very in limbo and very frustrated. I honestly would love for this all to go away. I know that is unrealistic and too easy and I know I need to chin up and stay strong and be patient but I hate that she is having to go through this. Although, I am pretty sure it is harder on me than it is on her. She has been a total champ through this whole thing, especially for a one year old who has know idea of what is going on.

So I continue to pray for answers and take it day by day.

 Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment