Friday, June 15, 2012

A Tribe Was Born

Pin It
Being pregnant and having a toddler is hard, even more so when your husband's job takes him on the road a week at a time.
People say that being pregnant and having a toddler is hard, we've all heard it, but you don't really realize how hard it is until you are doing it.

It's not impossible though. 
You just make changes, roll with the punches and do your best to make life easier on yourself. 

I think the most important part to surviving pregnancy while parenting a toddler is to have a support system. Raising a child is a community effort. You need a tribe. 
Some people in your life will get this and be more than helpful and some people won't. So ditch the people who don't and surround yourself with the people who do. 

I honestly have some of the best friends a girl could ask for. I have friends who jumped in the moment things began to get hard. Who brought me coffee, took me to dinner, made me dinner, bathed my daughter when I was sick to my stomach and was forcing myself to use every last drip of energy to care for her basic needs. I have friends who spoke constant words of encouragement, who didn't wait for me to call them but called and text and messaged me to make sure I was still alive and okay and that I had eaten.
I have friends who are still doing this, who know I feel better, but that maybe I am an emotional hormonal wreck today, maybe I can't stop crying or maybe I am feeling depressed.... because yes, pregnancy hormones evoke the most intense roller coaster ride of emotions that a human can experience. 
I have some of the best friends a girl could ask for. 
And I have them because of the Lord. 

He has surrounded me with so much love and generosity, He has surrounded me with a tribe of beautiful, fierce woman who put their all into mothering their children and caring for their families, into protecting and loving their friends, into loving and worshiping this great God of ours.

These woman encourage me daily to work harder, to keep pushing and striving and moving forward. 
They aren't afraid to be honest with me, to tell me when they think I am wrong or not considering the entire situation and they support me when I am broken on the ground, crying, in the midst of sending up a 911 prayer for strength and patience and perseverance and God knows what else.  

We often times think that because we make the decision to get pregnant that that means we cannot ask for help. We got ourselves into this right? But that is not the situation at all, because any mother knows that pregnancy is sacrificial beyond measure in so many ways, as is proper parenting and it is foolish to believe that you must do all of this alone. In fact, I believe it is our calling as mothers to rise up and reach out to those who are in need of guidance and direction and well, maybe a break here and there. We are supposed to make the transition as easy as possible on those around us, because we have been there before and we know what it is like. That is what community is and that is what a tribe is. 

I love my tribe. I would do anything for them and they have proven to me time and again that they would do the same for me. 

You know who you are and I want you to know that I couldn't do this without you and I am so grateful from the bottom of my soul for you ladies. You bring out the best in me as a person and a mother and I so look forward to what the future of our friendships bring. 

Thank you for being who you are and for living for Christ, for being self-sacrificing, beautiful, strong women.

With So Much Love,
Nadine (and Wes and Sofia and Baby No. Deux)


 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment